Friday, September 4, 2009

Peace Corps Application Process

I am leaving for Peace Corps Togo on September 16th after waiting to leave for over 17 months!  In the past 17 months, I've earned a college degree, scaled the Grand Tetons, scaled the steps of Congress, danced to bluegrass in Wyoming, danced among the Obamas and Bidens at the inaugural ball, loved, and lost, been homeless by choice and sedentary by force, and have been truly blessed.  Thank you to all of my friends and family who have supported me through this process and kept me on track when I was tempted to run away from my goals!

Peace Corps Application Process, Meghan Style

March 2008: Nominated by Denver Peace Corps Office for an Environmental Education program in Middle East/North Africa (assumed Morocco) in March 2009
June 2008: Dental Exam, Medical Exam, Immunizations, Blood Tests, Eye Exam
September 2008: Had to redo blood test
November 2008: More in depth medical exams, Told that I had been switched from Middle East/North Africa to Sub Saharan Africa 
December 2008: Re-interviewed over the phone for the Peace Corps, told that I would no longer be leaving in March 2008
February 2009: Written about in an AP article about rising number of Peace Corps Applications 
March 2009: Accepted an invitation to serve as an Environmental Education Volunteer in Mauritania, Africa on June 16, 2009
June 9, 2009: Received call from Peace Corps telling me that they were not able to secure visas for Peace Corps volunteers and they were not sure if or when we'd be leaving
July 2009: Mauritania program cancelled, invited to Togo as a Girl's Empowerment and Education volunteer in September 2009 
August 2009: Another Dental Exam
September 2009: Leaving for Philly on September 16 and then Lome, Togo via Paris on September 18!